VMI Museum Photo Shoot For “Leavings of War” Article

As the design team was playing around with inDesign, we found it difficult to put a layout together without any articles to insert into the magazine yet. So Professor Cumming gave us an article written by one of his previous students about the historical museum at VMI. One of our members, Andrew Lamb, edited the story, while Maggie Glaze was in charge of putting together a template for the article. Unfortunately, we had only a few, low-quality images to use, therefore, this left me in charge of walking over to shoot pictures.

It was a little strange walking over there because the only time I have been on VMI’s campus (called “Post”) is to run through it for cross country practice with the team by my side. But this time I was alone. Everyone I passed was very nice and said hello. Once I arrived at what I thought was the museum, I asked if I could speak with Col. Keith Gibson (with whom I had gotten into contact with about coming to take pictures). The man at the front desk looked at me and chuckled. He then kindly told me I had the completely wrong museum. Who knew that VMI had more than one museum on campus?

He then pointed me in the right direction and I arrived safely at the correct destination.

Once I arrived at the correct museum, I was greeted by a receptionist and a VMI student named Phillip. Phillip was kind enough to give me a quick tour of the museum as I carefully snapped pictures of various exhibits.

Here are some of the photos I took that may appear in the final product.

–Maggie Dick

Virginia Military Institute sign.

Virginia Military Institute sign.

Guns in their case.

Guns in their case.

An old VMI football.

An old VMI football.

Helmet.

Helmet.

An old VMI sports jersey.

An old VMI sports jersey.

Another gun.

Another gun.

Clothing.

Old military clothing, and a date’s white dress traditionally worn for Ring Figure, VMI’s formal dance for Second-Class cadets (juniors).

VMI campus.
VMI Parade Ground.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.