Small Town Girl Experiences The Big Apple

I’ve been told New York City is the place to go if you want to make it big.  In the concrete jungle it’s a cat fight to the top. It’s the place where dreams become reality – but only if you can keep up with its cut-throat and fast-paced nature. I’ve been told if you can make it in New York City, then you can make it anywhere.

A busy New York street.

A busy New York street.

Elle magazine.

Elle magazine.

I went into our trip with all these pre-concieved notions about New York. That it was going to be an overwhelming and scary place for those who were not from a big city. But to my surprise I fell in love with it despite how different it was from the small towns and suburbs I was used to.

Tulips at the John Lennon memorial in Strawberry Fields.

The John Lennon memorial.

The John Lennon memorial.

I attribute my easy transition to my extensive travels around the world in the past 18 years. I have been thrown into new situations and different environments countless times – making it easier to feel at home in the big city. New and different are what I am familiar with.

A look down a typical New York street.

A look down a typical New York street.

Subway stop at 28th street.

Subway stop at 28th street.

Having a plethora of opportunities to travel throughout my life has prompted me to take pictures of every place I go. So when we arrived I began snapping pictures, trying to capture the beauty of New York City in a series of photos. The pictures you see in this post show how I viewed New York through my own eyes for the first time.

An exhibition of grafitti on the walls of a building in NYC.

Another ants eye view of a single building in New York.

Granted I was only able to familiarize myself with New York for three days, I could definitely see myself living there in a few years once I graduate. I have heard it is a competitive and stressful work environment, but isn’t competition and stress what causes us to maximize our potential?

An ants eye view of a single building in New York.

A street filled with luxurious apartments.

After visiting, I am less scared and more intrigued by the city that never sleeps. It seems as if New York is a place of bottomless potential and unending opportunities for the people who live there. Every day appears to be an unknown and exciting adventure in which anything and everything can happen. That is the kind of place I want to live.

A delicious cake from the Mongolian Bakery.

Some of you may recognize this hotel from the show Gossip Girl.

Some of you may recognize this as Chuck Bass’ hotel from the show Gossip Girl.

–Maggie Dick

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.